This fashion story from Elle Magazine (Mexico) was just published. Alexander Neuman, another very talented photographer shot this along with a few other stories in my book. You may remember when I twitpic’d a model and asked what she had missing on her face? You can see here that it was her eyebrows. 😉 Blocking out the eyebrows gives a very edgy, fashion forward look. For this shoot, I wanted the model to look androgynous and somewhat “hard.”
Will anyone try blocking out their brows this Halloween? If so, i’d love to see pics! There are different techniques to do this. I prefer using a bald cap to cover the natural brow. How would you do it? 😉 Xo Mario
I’ve been trying to organize all of my makeup, skincare, lashes etc that I have at home and it’s no easy task! Thought I would share some pics with you showing my progress thus far. Keeping all of this (and there is more in boxes that I didn’t take pics of) organized is important to me so that I know what I have and where to grab it when Im packing but it takes so much time! How do you like to organize things? Any tips for me? Xo Mario
Earlier today in NYC, Kim attended the CEW Beauty Awards. CEW stands for Cosmetic Executive Women and Kim is definitely that and a whole lot more. She looked stunning in a one shoulder coral/peach dress and her hair was put up in a simple and elegant style by Michael Silva. I played up her eyes and lashes and kept the rest of the makeup clean and pretty. I hope you all like it. Stay tuned for more info on this look. Xo Mario
TWIP of the day! When you’re doing a dramatic cat eye paired with bright or dark lips, skip the blush and keep skin clean! Xo Mario
For the past 8 years or so during fashion week, I would normally work quite a few shows, or a few too many. This was the first time that I didnt do any models for the shows at all! Instead, I was booked solid and back to back working with my beautiful celebrity clients who were attending the shows, parties and hitting the red carpets all over NYC. Also, the MTV VMA’s were on Sunday so that was the busiest day ever. Throughout the week I worked with Amanda Bynes, Adrienne Bailon, Guiliana Rancic, new recording artist Jadyn Maria and of course Kim Kardashian, who has just added Beauty Editor to her impressive resume! Below are just a few of the many that I’ll be sharing with you here. Stay tuned!
Hey! Recently, a few girls sent me messages saying that they have tried to replicate the makeup from one of my “Get the Face” posts and sent me pics. I was so excited and flattered when I saw the images so I asked my Twitter and Facebook freinds to send me pics of them if they had tried one of my “Get the Face” looks. The pics came through and here they are! Some are makeup artists, aspiring makeup artists and some are not, but regardless of that – they are all beautiful! Thank you girls for having fun and trying out one my looks!
There were a few girls that tried Adrienne’s look that I gave her for “Steppin’ Out.”
Thanks again to all of you who sent me images! You all look amazing! xo Mario
I tried the Lash Lifting Mascara by Anastasia the other day and I’m really impressed. I figured if a mascara gets me excited the way this one did, it’s worthy of a blog post. I really love it because it gives the lashes the volume, length and pigment you want but without clumping. It has a lightweight texture to it also and doesn’t look “dry” when it dries! Oh, and it holds the curl in the lash too!
Find out more about Anastasia.
My two good freinds, Julie Banderas and Andy Sansone just got married last week here in NYC! Julie is an anchor and host of Fox Report on the Fox News Channel. I used to do her makeup on weekends for her show and we became great freinds over time. She is beautiful, talented and hysterical and there are no words to describe her husband Andy – he’s such a great guy and I’m so happy for both of them. The wedding was perfect and so was the bride. =) My talented freind Michael Silva did Julie’s hair and I did her makeup. The pics above are from the wedding and some others of Julie and I on her boat and at Fox.
There will be alot more pics from the wedding soon as well as video footage. I can post a “get the face” for all the bride’s to be. xo Love you Julie and Andy!
Watch Julie on The Fox Report on Saturday and Sunday’s 7pm Eastern.
Hey guys, sorry for the delay with answering your questions. Here is part one (the first 20 questions and answers).
1. i love your videos / pictures and i think your amazing !!! i was wondering if you can give me some tips on how to correct purple/blue under eye circles and concealors/ correctors you would recommend? i love how you make everyone look refreshed and natural under the eye and it’s always been problamatic area for me so please if you can help me out it would make my day! thanks for your time : )
Thank you! I suggest using a concealer with a yellow base to it. Yellow works best to correct purple/blue under the eyes. Lorac cosmetics makes really good yellow based concealers. Try a shade lighter then your skin tone.
2. What are your make up must haves? what are your favorite make up brands? what moisturizers do you use?
My must haves – Beauty blender sponge, MAC velour powder puff, L’oreal Voluminous mascara, Giorgio Armani luminous silk foundation, Smashbox bronzer in Suntan Matte, etc etc etc. I have way to many favorite brands to list. I use so many brands. I pick and choose my favorite products from each line. I use Kiehls moisturizer, Giella ginseng + vit c moisturizer, cetaphil.
3. Hi Mario, Just started reading your blog. I love how you do Kim K’s face. I noticed that you make her cheeks so defined and they end up looking amazing. I have a face that is similar to that complexion. When going for an “everyday look” what blush and bronzer do you recommend? In other words what is your favourite Blush and Bronzer?
I can’t wait to see more “GET THE FACE” posts. You are amazing!! Truly an artist!
Thank you. A great everyday blush and bronzer – Orgasm by Nars. You can’t go wrong with that. For bronzer, I love the Smashbox matte bronzer or the Nars Laguna or the Dior amber matte.
4. Hi Mario, you’re makeup talent is unbelievable! you are by far better than the rest…i have a couple ?’s:
1) how do you apply blush so perfectly and make it look so good?? Where and how is blush supposed to be used? it is my favorite makeup staple but i feel as if everytime I apply it, it doesn’t look as defined and flawless.
Apply blush to the apples of the cheeks only. Start out with very little on the brush, smile, and sweep over the apples of the cheeks.
2) What is the easiest way to apply liquid eyeliner?
Tilt your head up a bit in the mirror and pull your eye out on the outer corner with one hand, then apply the liner with the other hand.
3) I looooove love Smashbox bronzer, but am getting sick of it, do you happen to know of any other great bronzers??
You can try the Christian Doir Amber Matte bronzer.
5. I love you work!!!!!
What blush or bronzer did u use on this model (picture on top) I love it!
also whats your favorite bronzer?
I used the NARS bronzer in Laguna on Sky Nellor in that picture and Desire by NARS for blush.
6. Hi Mario! I bought the Stila brush you recommended and I love it!!!!! However, I am having a hard time finding the LORAC flatter edge brush you used for your video with Kim K. Do you know where to find it or a good substitute for it? Thank you for sharing. You are the best!!! I love your works….
Try the Sephora brand retractable all over shadow brush.
7. Hey mario!!! what foundations do you use most of the time? what is your favorite foundation? what is your favortie make up line?
I use many different foundations for different skin types/jobs, etc. Giorgio Armani, Make Up For Ever, Stila, Dior, Laura Mercier.
8. will you make anymore videos?
Yes, I will. I have one coming out that I just did with Khloe Kardashian. It takes time to shoot them and edit, etc but I will do more. 😉
9. Hi Mario,
i think you are great at what you do and love alll your work so far!!
i have a big problem lol i have really small eyelashes what do you think is the best mascara? also how did you get in the business? i love the way you make Kim look so TAN how do you achieve that? ok love thanks muchas Gracias!
For small eyelashes, I recommend curling them first so that they appear longer and applying a couple of coats of the L’oreal Voluminous mascara in Carbon Black. To achieve a tan look, frame the face with a bronzer. Be sure to apply some to the neck too.
10. hey mario what loose and presses powders do you use?
I love the Laura Mercier loose powders right now and the MAC studio fix pressed powders.
11. Hi Mario,
What are good combinations of eyeshadow colors, something you can wear causally? Something besides the browns?
It depends on your coloring. I like greens mixed with gold, applied with a soft hand for everyday.
12. Ok Mario, here we go, what is the trick to putting on false lashes, its so difficult but it makes a big difference in the complete look? And also please send me a link to a tutorial on the “smokey eye” look. Thank you soo much. Oh yah and are you gonna be in the Vegas area around June 24- 29? i and my sisters would love a personal tutorial make over. Thank you for your time.
Apply the glue to the lashes and let it dry almost completely so that it is “tacky,” then apply to the lash line. If the glue is too wet, it will not stick.
13. Hi Mario!! i was wondering if you had any tips/tricks for working with oily skin. Are there certain products that work better then others like primers or eyeshadows? I am sure you come across many skin types so any advice or tips you have would be awesome!! Thanks so much! I love all the looks that you do and I am super excited you have a blog!!
When I’m working with oily skin, I use an oil free moisturizer or a primer first. There is a product called Make Under. It’s a great product and works nicely with oily skin. They also make a good eye shadow primer.
14. Hi Mario, big fan of all your work – your video with K Kardashian was really helpful!
The one thing I can’t seem to master is the “dewy” look. I’ve tried using highlighters and primers but i still just look matte! I have normal/dry skin, HELP!
When you do your makeup, don’t apply an powder especially to the T-zone. Use a very emollient moisturizer, not a primer. Try Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer all over the skin. To highlight cheekbones, use a liquid highlighter like the benefit High Beam.
15. Hi Mario! I would like to know how to match make-up and outfit…I love bright and colorful eyeshadows, but if I match it with what I’m dressing I’m afraid I’m overdoing…what do you think? when can someone wear purple, green or blue eyeshadows?
I’m not a big fan of matching makeup with clothing. It can be a bit tacky I think. You can try wearing colorful or bright shadows when you’re wearing nude, white or all black clothes.
16. i LOVE your work, i think you’re truly an artist. I’m sure you have experience with South Asian clients in the past – from that, do you have any products you think specifically work better on that kind of a skin tone?
What’s your opinion on MAC vs Makeup Forever? Do you like one over the other, or feel like it’s pretty even on quality of things like foundations and eyeshadows?
Products that are yellow based would better for your skin tone. Lorac cosmetics makes great foundations that are yellow based. I like both MAC and MUFE and use both.
17. What self tanning should I use with light skin.
Neutrogena makes some great self tanners. They come in different shades. Choose the least dark one. If still too dark, mix it with a moisturizer and apply.
18. I always have trouble applying blush without it loose powder falling onto the rest of my face, and it’s never even. What is the proper way to apply blush, and any tricks??
For a more even finish with blush, make sure that your skin is powdered first to prevent a blotchy look.
19. Hey Mario, I have dark hair and eyes, and a medium complexion, can you suggest a day eye color, that isn’t dull?..Thanks!
Try Lorac eyeshadow in Serenity. It’s a great everyday color (tan/peachy/gold tone) for they eyelid.
I am African American and LOVE the way you do makeup. I have two questions, I have really dark circles under my eyes and every concealer i try make me look ashy or greenish once it sets…any suggestions of a brand is should try? I have pretty much tried them all. Secondly, could you possibly do some get-the-looks on some darker skin tones so I can have a little something to go by! Thanks Love your work.
If makeup is looking ashy on you, you need to go with something that has more red in it. You should most likely try a pallete so that you could mix colors. Derma Color and/or Beauty Tech have great palettes with different shades including, reds, pinks, etc. Choose a color that matches your skin and mix a bit of the red-ish shade in it to cancel out the ash.